Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by akasparky
Wouldn't a basic road side sobriety test do the job?

No. The effects of weed are not as pronounced as booze. Anybody with a tolerance (i.e., been smoking for some time) for weed could pass a road side sobriety test. Being stoned isn't the same as being drunk.

If you develop and market a road side test for weed, you will be rich.

Not true.

Which part? The weed effect vs. booze? I've never had to be carried out of a place because I was "too stoned". Can't say that about booze.

Passing a FST while stoned? Been a while since my last FST. Perhaps the test has changed. But I can walk a straight line, toe to toe, when stoned. Not so much when drunk.

Or the being stoned isn't the same as being drunk part? See previous comments.

Maybe the quip about getting rich if a roadside test for weed is developed? Please elaborate. The trucking industry would love this type of test. May get them more drivers.

Not trolling here. A sincere, honest question. Which, if not all, are not true? Be specific.

You can determine Marijuana use with sfst's. No matter someone's tolerance. And with the insanely high thc % of weed now, including dabs, edibles, etc someone can be super f'ed up on weed.

A lot goes into a dope dui, to do it right takes good investigation skills and experience since it's not as obvious as booze, but it's not impossible or difficult (if you're a professional).

But can you determine if a person is presently stoned, or just that there are residuals in their system?

Presently stoned means nothing. Are they under the influence and incapable of operating a motor vehicle? Yes you can determine that with sfst's. Standardized field sobriety tests test many things, including one's ability for divided attention tasks, IE requiring someone to do multiple tasks at once (walk and turn and one legged stand). HGN is easy with someone on weed as they will have all the physical cues of being high without hgn, and they will usually have lack of convergence. That's a clue......

dui's are a totality of the entire investigation. Why was the stop made? Moving violation? Crash? Equipment violation? What are the behavioral ques? What is observed inside the vehicle? Etc.

It depends on the state for the threshold for a Marijuana dui (usuallystates that have legalized weed). Some have a specific cannabinoid measurement that determines whether someone is dui. Other states simply go by the incapable of operating a motor vehicle wording.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 10/23/21.