Originally Posted by MickinColo
Originally Posted by Windknot
Nice MC! I'm fixing to go hit the local creek for just a while before all the good football games. I've got a good selection of graphite rods, but today I'm using my Eagle Claw 8.5' 5wt with the Hardy made SA Reel. You got some jewels there!

I worked for Wright & McGill Co. for almost 45 years. I wore many hats for them over those years. About 30 years ago (been retired for 5 years now) I had the pleasure of digging out all the historical archived rods they and Grainger made over the years, long before I hired on. My job was to inspect them, made sure they were in fact what was written on the tube cap, inventory them and seal them in new boxes. 95% (over 100) where bambo rods taken from the assembly line and placed in the safe. The others were the founders personal rods. Opening the tubes and looking at those beauties and smelling the tung oil that was as strong as the day it was made, was a joy.

That's some interesting history, my first fly rod (1965) was an old Wirght & McGill glass rod, The only one in town had been sitting in the store for who knows how many years. Took me some time to find a correct line and a Medalist reel but I caught my first rainbow on a steelhead fly I tied using chenille (I think it was an Atomic Bomb).