JFE,
I am presently reading old posts on this subject because I must promptly load 45-90 ammo for testing the regulation of my soon to be 45-90 DR created from my present 45-70 DR.
In my 1886 45-90, our top African DG load was 450 grain NF FPS at 2150 fps and it knocked down ele and buff with ease. I went with the 450 grain weight due to an increasing number of writers learning that no heavier bullet at no higher velocity is required to kill Ele.

Because the "new" version of my DR may never go to Africa, I am leaning towards using some of my hoard of NF 350 grain SS bullets ( which are a fave of the designer) and getting the velocity to just over 2150 fps.
This is why I am reviewing past and present information on .45-90 Express Loads. I have located good reliable information on the Wolfe Web site such as using 3031 powder to reach 2273 fps with a 350 grain Hornady bullet; just a bit more than needed. I am using VV N133 and have found the burn rate only a bit slower than 3031 and am working on details. Such a load should be good in my .45-90 also and more than potent for anything in NA.

PS Please try the Wolfe load.data.com and see 45-90 Express

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/