Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I was web stalking a few gun and hunting forums that I used to frequent. I was amazed at the lack of traffic on them. Most seem to have 5 or 6 prolific posters (many with very liberal/progressive views) and a smattering of other participants. But overall the traffic is way, way down from several years ago.

Is the discussion forum trend waning?

You're going to the wrong forums.

Some forums are dying because of mismanagement or overzealous moderators ... Shooters Forum is an example. Not only overzealous but really bad form. There are a few others and I get it, forum owners these days have issues to deal with, with the cancel culture and Google ads, that are a pain in the ass.

I'm so glad I sold out when I did. Subscription based models are the only way to cover expenses and/or make money now ... doesn't matter how many impressions you serve or what the CPM rate is when Google blocks you from everything. It should be criminal.

But still, bad forum management is the main reason some boards are collapsing. When mods over-moderate and alienate the most freedom loving community members in gunboard fifedom, as gun omwers are ... it never ends well. Gun owners detest censorship and heavy handedness. This forum does it right.

Also, again, there is an issue with de-monetizing some boards by Google that should be outlawed and dealt with in the courts and by congress. But there are ways around that.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.