Originally Posted by mauserfan
Will a .243 take a big deer reliably? I am in very wooded N. MN, hunt on foot and most all shots are <150 yards on moving deer. Taken a number of 225# dressed Whitetails with shoulder shots. I ask because I have a sweetheart of a Sako in .243 Win that I would like to use some. Thanks.

I lived in MN for 15 years, and my wife was from Chisholm. I hunted with family north of there and was about half way up toward International Falls.
Same, wooded and swampy. The 243 worked just fine, even at 30 below. In those days I was just using factory 100 grain ammo.

Most of the bucks over that way, were pretty good sized animals... they 243 never failed me., and they weren't big tracking jobs.
had more tracking jobs with those in the party using 06s... but then I think that was more the fault of the shooter than the cartridge.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez