Originally Posted by sakoron
Shortfinger, That's what I keep remembering from years ago when Nilgai 1st gathered a lot of publicity from Ray Sasser, the Dallas Morning News Outdoors guy, & his Houston Post buddy ?Shannon Tompkins I think it was. I was in Joe McBrides in Austin one day when a couple guys walked in talking about going Nilgai hunting and the outfitter sez no deer rifles ...like you wuz in Africa ...and walked out couple $K lighter toting "Grey Ghost" guns. There's been some chatter online lately about Powderhorn & Sambar success stories, and seems like there used to be Nilgai hunts fairly common in the Valley too, but I am not hearing anything about hunting anything in the Valley anymore now that I've been out of the Rep bidnizz for over 25 years At my age of 77 Powderhorn has more than just Sambar catching my eye. I did score a tag at SLRSP for later this winter...only took 21 points and 25 years to score a tag again. I'd also like to try and get an Aoudad on the wall too from west of Ft Hood. Great looking trophy's...Sambar ?? mebbe... mebbe Not
Ron

There are some Nilgai draw hunts on some federal properdy down in the valley still, but it seems like that have cut those back a good bit. I've always heard that is a hard hunt, especially since you can't use a truck to collect the animal, you had to pack it or use a cart. Seems silly for such a big animal.

Good luck in SLRSP! That can be a great hunt. My son and I got that one a few years ago. We saw a bunch of game and came back with 4 axis does. We got lucky this year and drew Honey Creek SNA.That's supposed to another good one for exotics including Aoudad. I'm taking my 7x57 for at least one session.

Last edited by shortfinger; 11/21/21.