Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Frank Glaser shot A LOT of animals, mostly Dall Sheep with the .220 Swift and thought it was about perfect for his purposes.

I have read Glaser's book several times, and having some experience with the .220 Swift on big game was not surprised--especially since North American sheep in general aren't hard to put down--and Dalls are the smallest of the subspecies. But Glaser did sometimes express a different opinion about the Swift and grizzlies.

I also knew an old "game warden" in Montana who's job often included shooting elk at night off rancher's haystacks. That isn't done anymore, but was back then. His favorite round was the .220 Swift.

I’ve loved reading about Alaska since I was a little boy and that started my lifelong obsession with the last frontier. Reading Frank Glaser’s book brings me as close to those childhood dreams as I can get without being there. I’ll have to go back and read it again since I learn something new each time I read it. I do know that Frank got into a bind in a box canyon with his dogs and a grizzly that blocked their escape. He put several 30-06 rounds into that bear without the bear acting like the countless others he’d shot in the past. He realized that he grabbed the wrong box of ammo and was using (iirc) 147gr FMJ instead of his usual 220gr soft points.

Frank Glaser is one person that I’d love to spend time with at his Savage River cabin drinking coffee and listening intently to his experiences. I don’t think I’d ever grow tired of listening.

In any case…. I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and hope that you’re surrounded by the love of family. John B. thanks for your willingness to answer our questions and share your depth and breadth of knowledge with us. Thanks for responding to us and taking the time to answer the same questions that you’ve answered countless times but doing it with patience and kindness.

You are truly an asset to this forum JB. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~