Background. I’ve shot nothing but recurves for 20 years now. Never killed a deer with any other archery tackle. I do my freezer filling with a rifle so if the stars align and I kill one with a stickbow it’s a treat but if I don’t it’s not life or death. I mostly hunt off the ground but I’m interested in trying out a tree saddle so a somewhat compact bow is nice. The rub there being I’m 6’4” with a 30.5” draw which sucks the big one with short bows. I’ve transitioned to shooting 3 under in the last few years which helps but I cannot use short bows like my wife’s KMag or the SuperMag48 I had and gave away. I also don’t want anything super long, 70” Hill bows won’t fit my hunting style.

A longbow has struck my interest of late, for no real reason but I’d like to try one. My requirements are 1pc, don’t try to convince me otherwise I don’t care for TDs. Most likely locator style grip just because it’s about all I’ve ever shot, I’d try a straight grip but I’d hate to shell out a bunch of cash and have it not work out. Ideal would be somewhere in the 47lb range, I’ve shot a 50 that’s 53 at my draw length forever and it’s really more than I want with my shoulders in the shape they are these days.

I have some old 50s Bears I’m planning to sell to finance this but I have no idea which of the many semi custom brands I should be looking at. They all claim smooth draws, no hand shock, and quiet shooting. Anybody here have one they love that they’d recommend? I’ve looked at the Black Widow longbow and I’m sure they’re great but I’d have to find a used one to be able to afford it. Otherwise I have no idea where to start.