My first rifle was a Remington 788 in .308 Winchester. Dad bought it for me used, I believe in 1978. I killed my first deer with it on Pleasantville Mountain that December, and quite a few others with it up until I joined the Army in ‘85.
I was in Ft Lewis WA the fall of ‘85, so I couldn’t go hunting. I called home and talked to Dad to see who got what.
“I killed a nice 8 point on the Mountain” Dad says. “Oh yeah? Where at up there” says I.
“Over in that hollow below the Big Rock. You know where I’m talking about?”
“Yeah Dad, I usually always hunted that hollow the first day. What was you shooting?”
“Your .308!” He then asked if I wanted to sell it. A family friend had seen it and wanted to buy it.
“No, tell Bill it ain’t for sale” I said.
“That’s good. That means I can use it till you get home!”
When I returned to Pennsylvania, I bought myself a Ruger 77 in .30-06, and the .308 became Dad’s gun. He hunted the last 25 years of his life with that gun. When he died, I finally put it back in my gun cabinet.
It’s still a shooter. I still hand load for it, I drag it out once or twice every year in deer season.
But it’ll forever be “Dad’s Gun” to me, and when I go on to hunt with Dad again, Ben can say “it was Pap’s Gun”.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden