I've never shared that story before. It was traumatic for my sister an all involved. Less for me. I was in pain and just wanting to get out of there.

The OP's story, and mine, both illustrate the importance of being aware of your surroundings. I sometimes question my parents letting us head off down the dirt roads on dirt bikes when we were 7 or 8 years old.

But it was a different time. Still, some young boys paid with their life for their innocence and willingness to trust the Candyman.

At this point in my life, I am never unarmed. I sometimes think my reflections on that day are one of the reasons.

I don't take a poop that I don't have a firearm within reach. Some might call me paranoid. I just refer to myself as prepared.

I don't know why the op titled his thread the way he did, or his reason for posting. But, I'm glad he did.

Perhaps his story has some lessons for the way we raise children - unable to carry a weapon. The fight-or-flight instinct should be encouraged in all children. They should be taught a healthy suspicion of strangers - well-known adults. My sister and cousin exercised good sense and fled the way they should have. They did not surrender to a person who was superiorly armed.

Last edited by skfullen; 11/25/21. Reason: Added info

The original Frito Bandito!