Originally Posted by elkaddict
I have a 300 and 340. Also had a 30-378. I much prefer the 340. With 210 PTs, it’s nearly as flat shooting as the 300, but I find the recoil to be more of a push than a sharp crack (they have identical stocks). I’ve shot deer, antelope moose and dozens of elk with the 210 PTs and have never been disappointed. It was amazingly accurate and regularly shot 1/2” to 3/4” groups with the now discontinued factory loads.

There’s nothing wrong with the 300, in fact, it is my preferred mule deer rifle. It is literally a 1/2” gun with 165g factory loads.

I played with 30-378 accumark for year but had a hard time getting excited about it. I hate muzzle breaks for hunting, and without one, it would leave me with a headache after every range session. It easily shot into 1”, but I could never cut that substantially with either factory loads or hand loads. In the end, the extra weight and recoil did not justify the 200fps advantage it had over the 300 and it went down the road.

The only other cartridge that tempted me was the 270. Because I already have a great shooting 270 wsm, I doubt that itch will be scratched.

The only other weatherby I can imagine purchasing at this point is in 30-06…and that will take some rationalization (I’ve got a great shooting T3X). I’ve got the fast 7mm itch scratched by a STW, and smaller calibers have never appeal to me…. Perhaps I’m in danger of forfeiting my rifle loony card.

No need to surrender your rifle loony card. There’s no expiration date on them.

The 7STW is a fantastic round, IMO. I’ve always wanted a 340 wby. Had a 300wby for a short time, but the 7STW won out on that battle for me.