Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by comerade
My experience with Weatherby Mark v rifles began in the early 80's, I worked as an Elk guide for a decade.
Dude hunters showed up with these things, they seemed to shoot terribly, one guy told me his rifle was factory zeroed.
The rifles were probably fine but performed poorly due to some amount of ignorance about them.
Got just in my craw and is still there. Funny how that works

I’ve only been on 1 guided big game hunt in my life and I brought my well worn 70’s vintage Rem 700 300 Win Mag & left my Weatherby home. Guide & I got along great and since hunted on the personal side many times since - just didn’t want to give the wrong initial impression.

We used to wonder the same thing about dudes who showed up in camp with fancy Orvis, Sage, Winston etc fly rods - some of them could even fish. Generally they were surprised that a young cowboy could outfish them with an old Cortland & Pfluger setup.

I don't know about dude fishermen, my experience is with client hunters but often then didn't do this on the skinny....in those days. I suspected Daddy funded some of these hunts. Shiny Weatherby's , German glass etc. Many were Safari club guys.
My favorites were tradesman, construction worker types that saved up for this vacation. A 10 day hunt reveals alot....some fine folks...