Originally Posted by MikeS
I would not open the barrel channel on that beautiful stock. Instead, I would keep working on loads. I have a custom .257 Robert's with tight bedding like yours that shoots extremely well with several different loads. If nothing else works, I would think about a second, synthetic stock.

"Tight" bedding is fine, when done right. His rifle is exhibiting signs of a stressed barrel or action. As john boy was alluding to in his post. Also, for those of you that don't know this, the op is a competitive shooter (from what I remember) and also works for the Barnes bullet company. So the inaccuracy may be bothering him more than he is letting on. We all know this rifle is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. The builder of this rifle may not be with us anymore, hence the reason he is not sending it back to him??? If it were mine, I'd be a little apprehensive to send it off to just anyone. Maybe a select few, but that is it. I wouldn't even want to work on it myself and that would be a first.. A rifle that beautiful deserves to be done right. As I said in my first post, a custom like that should shoot very well. The op probably wouldn't have posted the question, had he not felt it should shoot better. Also, from my experience, a rifle that shoots that poorly, is going to be a real headache. Regardless of what other loads you try. I'm also thinking if Alan hasn't rung it out by now, it likely is not going to ever shoot to its full potential because something is stressed and causing the inaccuracy.. Best of luck to GSSP.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA