I was a committee member and officer of a NWTF chapter for several years. Like any other organization, there is good and bad. Here's my take:

Local chapter - I support local NWTF events because I know at the end of the day there are chapter volunteers that work extremely hard for the causes they support. It takes a lot of dedication. Volunteers aren't held to performance standards and people come with all types of personalities and competencies (or lack there of). Like any other volunteer group there are a handful of participants that are behind a majority of the work and success. This isn't unique to the NWTF, just par for any volunteer organization. We did a lot of fundraising for local sporting groups, youth hunter education and firearms training, fundraising for WMA land acquisitions, etc. The people behind these efforts get nothing in return. I'm happy to support these fine folks by going to their banquets and other events.

National NWTF - My chief complaint of the NWTF as a whole was that there was a huge disconnect between the national organization and the local chapter. All the things we did as noted above got virtually no support from the national organization. We were expected to put a ton of work into raising money which was sent up the chain with no return. From a political standpoint, I didn't agree with the push for liberalized hunting rule changes here in Minnesota, which was pushed through with the help of the NWTF. The elimination of the lottery system with limited season lengths at a minimum puts the population at risk when there is a natural decline cycle, if not directly hurting the population.

Personally, I don't send money or pursue an annual membership online or through the mail. I sign up when I attend a local chapter banquet, and give plenty to them when I attend.

Last edited by Timmer; 12/03/21.

Timmer