Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by DBT
[quote=K22]There was a reason the religious leaders burned the Library of Alexandria and why the vatican will not allow anyone in the vaults or tunnels.
It would confirm what I have told you, but there is no money in it nor do you need anyone to show you the way. You can do it all by yourself.

It was a simple question.

How does this description....

God is love. - 1 John 4:8

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'' 1 Corinthians 13;

''The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.'' - Psalm 145:9

....relate to this violent attitude;

Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them. Ezekiel 8:18

He is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. - Joshua 24:19
dicrous

''Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’ - 1 Samuel 25:3

[/quote

Trying mix a literal reading with Mythology/Astrology/Numerology/Mysticism will never work. Apples and Oranges are not the same fruit.
You are reading those versus from a literal reading perspective. From that perspective I would let mauserand9mm answer because he is correct. That is the very reason I'm saying that the entire book was written from a mythology position and known of those atrocities ever happened.
With a literal reading, there is not doubt that God hates women and puts them barely above an animal. In mythology, women represent emotion and emotion is what we as humans like to run on. Ego is another word for emotion. In a literal reading it is very apparent that this God is dysfunctional entity. In a literal reading, you have to die to receive any of the treasures stored up for you making God a god of the dead. In a mythological position, those treasures are right at your fingertips if you so desire them and God is a god of the living. In a literal reading, you must die to get to Heaven. From a mythological position, Heaven, God, Jesus, the Temple all dwell within you and all you need is the key to open the door. In a literal reading, you are nothing more than a lowly "Gentile" barely saved by Grace. From a mythological position you are gods, but as of yet you have no idea who or what you are and the powers you really have. In a literal reading, you have to "invite" Jesus into your heart. From a mythological position, Jesus already dwells within you so inviting him in is ludicrous, he's already there.
And remember, it was the religious leaders, known today as Christians, who offered up Jesus to the authorities to be killed for His teachings which went against the teachings of their scriptures. They killed him for not teaching the letter of the law.

They are literal descriptions. On one hand we have verses that have God ordering slaughter and rape, and on the other hand we have descriptions of a God of Love and Tender Mercy where slaughter and rape are not possible.

To simply say ''oh, none of this is literal" does not resolve the contradiction.

You ignore what the verses actually say and insist that they mean something other than what they say.....because, well, there is a hidden code and arcane knowledge that only those with 'spiritual insight' can unravel.

It doesn't work.

They are only literal descriptions if you read them literally.
If you believe that you are to read that book literally, then you explain to me the contradictions as you've shown and how do you explain them.

As far as I'm concerned those versus are symbolic language.

Description of the attributes of love, for example, are meant to tell us what Love is, its attributes and features and how love is manifested.

The descriptions are meant to tell us about Love. That God is Love and this is what Love is like.

You cannot transform what the given verses say about Love by dismissing the descriptions as allegory or poetry.

This is not allegory or metaphor, we are being told about the nature of God and Love;

God is love. - 1 John 4:8

''Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'' 1 Corinthians 13;

The "love" being referenced here is not the kind of love we as ego driven humans think it is. When we talk of God's love we do it from OUR stand point, how we intellectually or emotionally think it should be and that is why we are instructed to "take no thought" or "be still". When we try to describe or explain what God or Christ is saying or what a scripture means from our reading of it we are literally sinning. The word "sin" was taken from the Chaldeans which meant the Moon or emotion, this was represented by the Goddess Ur. If you study any "mazzaroth" teachings, to use a Bible word, it would not take long before you would see that the planet ruling the Constellation Cancer is the Moon, hence the term "Moon Child" used for those born June 21 - July 22. Those Cancer folks can be very emotion driven. So the writers used the symbolic language word sin to say that your emotions and thoughts will keep you from seeing the face of God, hence the reason for "take no thought". When it says to go into your closet and SHUT THE DOOR it is telling you to shut the door on your thoughts so that in the stillness God can talk to you. But we read the bible literally and interpret prayer to mean you talking to God, even down to praying out loud for all to hear how well we pray or look at me I pray to God, can you hear me. We even do it in the market place, i.e. the Church where some, Preachers, are marketing their wares.
If you think that meditation is not the way to hear God or even that meditation is easy, then there's the challenge. Try it for 15 min. and have no thoughts or feelings when you do...............NONE! Do it 3 or 4 times a week until you can do it without any thoughts, then you will know what I am telling you and what Christ instructed us to do. This doesn't ever require faith which is worthless anyway. You will know. Then you will understand the true meaning of Love from God's stand point.