Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Hastings
I have a M-1 Garand made by Springfield. It is a National Match with serial # 6095640 in very good shape I have had it for several years and have only shot it twice with a 148 grain bullet powered by 47 grains of IMR 4064. It shot fine and reloaded itself fine. I have a gun nut friend pestering me to buy it. Did not get the paperwork but it was built in the late 50s I believe. I want all it is worth. What is the going price?

Do a check and confirm the rifle is a "real" issue National Match. I was thinking the 6 million serial number range was too high. Unfortunately, there are copies and forgeries for National Match rifles. If you have a real one it would probably add $500 to $1000 to the value. Not everyone is looking for a National Match rifle. If you find the right guy you could do well above $1000 more than a service grade rifle. Most of the National Match rifles I have seen set on a sellers tables for years and show after show because they are priced way out of line for what a person will pay for a service grade rifle.

kwg

The old doctor that gave it to me is dead now. He claimed to have the paperwork but mislaid it somewhere. His house was an unruly museum and archive. He told me he shot it in competitions. How do I tell if it is authentic? I really believe he at least thought it was.

I would start with contacting the CMP or the Garand Collectors Assoc. I belong to the GCA and they have some really smart guys who know all about all the versions of the Garand. Their email address is:
inforthegca.org

If you have a real National Match they might ask you if they can add it to their data base.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 01/18/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.