Originally Posted by Nebraska
Sounds interesting. Breeding for specific qualities can take generations and lots of crosses so I'd try to find someone that's btdt to see which (dominant) qualities you're most likely to end up with unless you'd be happy with a pup outta them no matter what......

Unless we get some strange inbreed defect (that I am not thinking of)... either dog will be enhanced by attributes of the other.

Mountain Curs are dozens of breeds anyway "The Mountain Cur was brought to America nearly two hundred years ago from Europe by the colonizers of the mountains in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, then later Arkansas and Oklahoma, to guard family and property as well as chase and tree game. These dogs enabled the colonizers to provide meat and pelts for personal use or trade, making them valuable in the frontier."

What Wikipedia does NOT say (political correctness, I reckon) is that the chitty Cur dogs that did NOT fetch game well... got eaten by starving settlers.

Short hair is the dominant gene... so we should have short hair dogs... possibly Aussie colors... hoping for the best.

I expect to lose dogs to the brutality of WV... cyanide bait for yotes is common place... 3-4 yotes against 1-2 dogs is futile. Early warning stuff so the rifle is always handy. Our land is far more remote and far more brutal than most can imagine... so please do not assume based on your location/situation.

I neighbor has 15-20 pound mountain feist dogs... it is hilarious to watch them torment black bear.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.