Dogs didn’t used to be “breeds”, they were “types”, bred for ability.

“Breeds” came about as a fad in the late 19th Century, in every case inbred for a distinctive, uniform appearance.

The best types we have left were those still bred for ability, looks be damned except incidentally where it helped the breed accomplish its purpose.

Jack Russels were like that until that TV show, came in different shapes and sizes. Australian heelers were another. Kelpies still are, the breeder associations rejecting ANY standards beyond ability.

Designer dogs could work, the best dog I’ve had is in my avatar, a generic heeler/sheepdog Texas ranch mutt.

My sister purpose bred her heeler to an Aussie, the pups turned out great. One went to my other sister who has a heritage sheep business. Another went to a lady with a specialty beef operation, likely saved her life one time when it drove off an aggressive heifer that had her cornered in a stall.

Give it a shot, it might work.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744