Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by CashisKing

BUT he has no nose what-so-ever...

I just love this when I see/hear it. The dog has as good of a nose as any of them, just hasn't been focused to use it. Nothing easier to "focus" than an Aussie or a Border Collie. Training him to learn using and finding stuff with his nose can be big fun...easy peasy with that breed.When I had my first one I swore her nose was just an ornament, she didn't use it for anything. We started narcotics detection training and she ended up being the best Narc Dog Ive seen, and I've seen a few...

Breed him to another Aussie, train pup up right and you'll have a dog without equal.

I beg to differ with you on this. As someone who raised, trained, hunted and even sold a few coonhounds, not ALL dogs noses are created equal. Hell I had a jack Russell that I carried with me everywhere for 14 years and that dog couldn't even smell BACON!

I think Ingwe might know a thing or two about dogs.

I don't know who Ingwe is and honestly I don't care. All Im saying is that all dogs noses aren't created equal and a few don't have any better sense of smell than we do.
In the competition coonhunting world Ive hunted against every breed out there and YES certain breeds do have certain qualities when it comes to scenting ability. Its called "cold nosed or hot hosed". Typically a bluetick has the "coldest" nose of any breed. The will "wallow" a track that the other dogs cant even smell. Redbones, Black and Tans, Plotts, English, Walkers, that pretty much has them in order from cold to hot. Im probably gonna piss some people off but a Walker fits the bill for a 2 hour hunt perfectly. A bluetick MIGHT tree that coon by daylight, but a walker is gonna find multiple coons to tree in that same timespan.
Im out of that game now. My current dogs: 1 is a border collie/black lab/red heeler cross. Shes natural bob and looks like a border collie on steroids. Shes got an AMAZING nose! We killed a bobcat coming home last year, when we got home the guy that killed it laid it on the ground for 5 minutes while he got his truck and put it in the back. That dog could smell where that bobcat laid on the ground for a WEEK and she never saw the cat!
The 2nd dog is a border collie/heeler cross. As far as intelligence goes, shes smarter than the other one. I don't know how good her nose is though, I haven't spent as much time with her.