The short of it is that IVI ammunition was a company, formed in WWII, to produce small arms ammunition and explosives for the Canadian military. It was a Canadian Crown corporation that operated for close to 40 years until it was purchased in early 2007 by General Dynamics. Since then, the US has owned our small arms ammunition production. smile

I was in Borden teaching armament at that time. When the announcement was made, you could have heard a pin drop. We were stunned that Canada would no longer have ownership of its SA ammunition production.

Anyone who has spent time in the Canadian military will recognise the IVI headstamp. Here is a 5.56 headstamp. Also, the two 303 British headstamps on the right. The 303 headstamps represent two different loads. Until a few years ago, most of the 303 ammunition went to the Cdn Rangers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 303 headstamp on the left is used with 180 gr soft point hunting ammunition. As far as I know, it is still offered by General Dynamics for sale. The one on the right is traditionally stamped, showing the year of manufacture (97) and the Mk of the load. In this case, it is Mk 8z. 8z ammunition has changed over the years. It was originally machine gun ammunition, said to burn out rifle barrels. Well, that was 80 years ago. Canadian made 8z has always been 175 grain BT ammunition made with a double base powder (not Cordite). Despite what you read on the Web, Cdn 8z doesn't burn out barrels. laugh

One other difference between the two 303 rounds is the lack of a crimp on the 180 gr. SP ammunition. Here is the crimp from the 8z cartridge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Of interest, X Reload - x-reload.com - is located in Beloeil, Quebec. Beloeil was Canada's original Cordite plant, founded in 1910. In WWI, production expanded to Nobel, ON, just north of Parry Sound. In Canada, 303 British and other ammunition has not used Cordite or corrosive primers since the start of WWII.

---

Edited to add: At my website, I am asked, "I was told Hodgdon owns IMR Powder Co. If General Dynamics owns the Valleyfield powder plant in Quebec where IMR powders are made, then doesn't GD actually own it?"

Yes and no. Yes, General Dynamics owns the Valleyfield plant and manufactures the powder. It is sold to to Hodgdon, who owns the IMR name. So, Hodgdon is a reseller.

From the Genenal Dynamics website:

Being the established manufacturer of the legendary IMR powders™ for more than 30 years, GD OTS-Canada Valleyfield has gained substantial expertise in hunting and sporting applications including rifle, shotguns, pistols and muzzleloaders.

Extensive capabilities developed over several decades of operation have enabled the expansion of our product offering to a very wide range of applications such as rocket motors, igniters, high explosives fills and gas generants for civilian and military customers.

GD OTS-Canada Valleyfield ‘s production facility manufactures a complete line of single, double and triple base propellants for military and sporting applications, as well as a wide range of specialty products including high explosives fills, rocket propulsion ignition systems and gas generants.

https://www.gd-otscanada.com/product/energetic-materials/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]