Originally Posted by cra1948
When I think Canadian ammunition “ I think CIL. Back in the early sixties they brought plastic-tipped bullets on the market but, if I recall correctly (always questionable) it was to protect the tip of the bullet from recoil damage in the magazine. A friend and I were wandering the streets of Brockville one evening when we stopped in a sporting goods store where they had some in th counter. The guy behind the counter was kind enough to get a box out and let us examine this amazing new innovation in ammunition. I think they were.30-06. As I recall, it was all round nosed stuff at that time, no attempt to improve ballistics, and the plastic tips were white.

Those were called Sabre Tips. One of a few innovations that were slightly ahead of their time. The rest of the world caught on about 20 years later. Now, it seems that everyone is using polymer tipped bullets. We also had Kling Kor ammunition, which were bullet jackets crimped to the cores.

The first picture is a RN Kling Kor. The second, Sabre Tips. The third another Kling Kor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Imperial was the last name used for civilian ammunition in Canada. The company folded in the mid 1980s. That's when we saw a lot more US product to make up for the loss of Imperial. The last Imperial ammunition I bought was 22LR.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada