Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
It was odd when Imperial stopped selling ammunition. There wasn't any big announcement. They just stopped. In the 1980s and before, you used to see a lot of Imperial/Dominion/IVI ammunition on the US side of the border. It was probably guys coming into Canada that picked up some ammunition while they were here. I never did ask anyone who lived just over the border if there was any for sale in the stores there.

Steve, I lived just over the border…within sight of Brockville, ON. I think I bought the aforementioned Imperial ammo at The Sports Mart in Ogdensburg (right across The River from Prescott, ON.) I wouldn’t say it was everywhere, but it was not uncommon, especially in the less mainstream cartridges. Of course, the border was a lot friendlier place in those days.

To answer your question about whether I use the .22 HP anymore, I play with it. I make .22 HP brass from.30-30. I try different bullets. I haven’t done anything with it in several years.

It makes sense that CIL ammunition would be available that close to the border. Like you say, the border was a lot friendlier back then.

Originally Posted by Nick1899
22 Savage HiPower ammunition hasn’t been manufactured in quite some time. European 5.6x52R is close but most find the bullet too long to stabilize in the Savage 1899’s rate of twist. Some guns will stabilize it decently enough, mine does not. I use cast bullets sized to .228”.

When I duck hunted in the early ‘80’s we used Imperial 12 gauge shotshells almost exclusively, #5 and #6 shot. They had high brass and dark blue plastic. The sight of them still brings back fond memories of those early morning hunts.

Nick

I never duck hunted, but I used to get inexpensive upland No 6 shot. I would buy a couple of boxes to do me for a couple of years. Do you know who makes the Canadian Tire budget shells?

Edited to add: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?q=imperial%20shells

They have these listed at Canadian Tire. None in stock, but the reviews are saying that they are available again. Maybe IVI is testing the waters.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I saw some in the Canadian Tire in Medicine Hat a few weeks ago.
They have been carrying it here for a year or so. I should buy a box and give it a try this Fall.
Jeff