Originally Posted by BC30cal
troutfly;
Top of the morning to you Jeff, I hope that again despite our political situation you're all well as can be.

Last fall for the first time in 30 odd years a buddy and I decided to go duck hunting again, so that meant I was using a single shot made in Turkey 12guage I'd picked up "just in case I needed to shoot steel shot" awhile back. The ammo I got was the stuff pictured, that is Imperial #4 Steel.

Alas no ducks were shot at, much less shot, though I must admit that the last words my better half said to me as I left were, "Have fun today, but make sure you donate all the ducks to buddy...." laugh

For years out here we couldn't find Rottweil Brenneke slugs for our "serious social recalcitrant bruin interaction devices", so I'd done some digging and found these which were sold then at Can Tire too.
[Linked Image from nasguns.com]

They're put together in Quebec using the Italian Gualandi slugs which are very hard lead with the wad affixed to the slug much like the Brenneke is.

For practice drills I've found a couple weights of Score slugs made in Carbury, MB and they work fine. It was lucky I picked up a few boxes when Wholesale was still in business up in Westbank, but they're still available with a couple of the big online places I see. Not sure on availability.

Anyways that's a couple more Canadian ammo makers for our list.

All the best to you all out there Jeff.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,
All is well for the most part outside the political BS we are fighting. seems like a never ending fight every time the Libs are in power, this time with a coalition from Hell of the Lib/NDP.
I'll be picking up a box of the new Imperial stuff as well as some Challenger shells before the season opens. I was lucky a number of years ago and managed to acquire a good number of cases of Black Cloud shells in various waterfowl loads when Wholesale was closing. My waterfowl gun really likes the stuff so I'm "happy, happy, happy". As well, I have a case of Rio BB that I'm working with.
I must say, I'm somewhat impressed with the ammo supply in several Alberta CT stores I have been in lately. Even the prices, while high, haven't been prohibitive, yet. On the other hand, I was in Cabelas in Edmonton a few days ago, prices there terrified me. The same 22-250 Hornady stuff I can buy at CT, was $15.00 higher at Cabelas. Needless to say, I left w/o purchasing any ammo there. Fortunately, on my way back home, I found some affordable Federal 300 Win Mag at a Walmart, I grabbed a couple boxes.....
I haven't fired slugs in a number of years, I sold my slug gun to a friend when I realized it was collecting dust.
It is reassuring to see Canadian made ammunition avail again. Hopefully they can remain viable businesses.
Have a great weekend,
Jeff