Originally Posted by shootem
There were a lot of words in the article but it avoided tried and true methods of keeping predators at bay:
1) Never let them feel comfortable around humans. They are killers.
2) Never assign human traits to them. They are lower animals with no conscience.
3) Never feel sorry for them. They will never feel sorry for you.

Read it again, the Biologists quoted in the article make essentially the same points you do. When predators lose their fear of humans, bad things always happen.

Interesting observation they made; in areas where bears were hunted they personally had experienced no problems, but in National Parks where bears were not hunted they had to climb trees to avoid bears ransacking their camps more than once.

Black bears are now common around NY City and in NJ. I am aware of two fatalities there; an infant taken from a baby carriage at a day camp and a guy chased and killed in a park in Northeast NJ.

It sucks, I used to spend a lot of time in the woods in that area back in high school, now bears are common, local laws do not allow me to go armed, IIRC even bear spray is illegal, so if you do run into a bear, the bear holds all the cards.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744