I truly believe all predators serves a purpose; even if that purpose is just to keep us on our toes. That includes coyotes. I have shot a bunch of them but I have left a bunch of them alone. When I see one out in the field, catching mice, I see him as a valuable asset. When I think there are getting to be too many or they are too brazen, I'll shoot a couple. Otherwise, they are just like the skunks badgers, cougars, weasels, marten, bears, and other predators. They are part of the ecology of our area.
Having said this, I also think it is important for one to be aware, there can be danger and one should be prepared. Bear spray, a walking stick, or, when possible, a pistol, will help keep you safe. A person needs to be able to look after themselves. This is even more true in settled areas where you don't have the option of shooting every thing you see.
During the summer months, when our campground is full, the coyotes, and other predators, have to learn, I'm a little less tolerant. Still, hearing the coyotes at night is part of the camping experience! GD