Originally Posted by TRexF16
[

Since virtually all 9.3x62 have very long throats, not sure why they loaded theirs so short. Clearly the 0.10" difference in COAL between the 9.3 and the 35 costs some H2O capacity, but not nearly enough to equate to a 10% advantage to the 9.3.

One more consideration is the pressure limits. The Whelen is 62K SAAMI and both Sierra and Speer are now publishing data that are taking advantage of that. The original 9.3x62 is much less. I think Mule Deer is wise to publish 9.3x62 loads that are approaching the 60K limit of the 30-06, but I've not read anybody advocating exceeding that in the 9.3x62, though certainly the Lapua brass and modern actions would handle it. There's just little need to.

I love both these chamberings.
I just started shooting the .375 H&H and haven't hunted it yet so can't speak to that aspect of the OP question.

Cheers,
Rex

The 9.3x62's overall cartridge length is so short because it was designed specifically to fit in the 3.30 inch magazine of 98 Mauser military actions, at least partly to make inexpensive yet powerful rifle was available to German settlers in Africa.

The long, tapered throat was common during that era, due to being designed to accommodate the long, heavy-for-caliber round-nosed bullets used in many early military and hunting rounds--such as the 285-grain (18.5 gram) bullet the 9.3x62 was also designed around. The conflict between magazine length and "reaching the lands" only occurred when hunters started using spitzers in the 9.3x62.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck