Bev,

Two outstanding snaps and a mighty fine stag.

Being cheap, a short range meat hunter and hoglet perforator, I've not taken a trophy Axis. Shot a few as targets of opportunity (as I love the meat) on one of the 5 Texas ranches I"ve hunted during the last 22 years.

Anwho, I hunted the 3,000 acre Rex Kelly ranch from 2002 until 2008. The owner must have been kin to Dr. Doolittle. He did not hunt or shoot. He lived up front in a stone house with no heat or A/C. He had at least 20 dogs and cats, and named all his animals. I'd ride around with him up front where there was no hunting to 'feed" his critters. We'd go a ways, and he would pull over and stop. He kept a 5 gallon bucket in the seat of his old blue Ford pickup between he and I. He'd scoop up a coffee can full of corn and bang it against the side of the driver's door. Within a couple minutes there would be hogs, white-tail Sika, Axis, and Fallow deer. He had names for a bunch. Hartford was a monster Axis stag. Gorgeous and Jimmy Dean were the resident bad-azz boars. He had a juvie black buck he called Junior. One year we painted "NO" in green fluorescent paint on the side of Gorgeous, hoping he would not get shot wandering toward the back of the ranch.

I liked Tom and so I built a pen up front near his house and put out feeders so he could watch his Axis deer of a morning or evening...........

Not the best quality photos, but you get the picture.......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Over the course of time, I ended up taking several. Couple stags and a doe.

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/01/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.