Originally Posted by aboltfan
Should I use this handgun on game it would be deer, hogs and maybe black bear out to about 50 yards.

I quoted this sentence of your post, because I think it's what should drive your decision.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45 ACP convertible. Love it, great gun. I have numerous 1911's in .45 ACP--also great guns. Sure, you can lean on the .45 ACP and get 1000+ fps from a 230gr bullet, but the .45LC gets there every day of the week with virtually no recoil. And if you want more, the .45LC can give a ton more, while the ACP is already done.

I loaded up some 250gr bullets to a book speed of 900fps. They were so tame at the range, I never loaded them up that slow again, because I felt like I was shooting .38 Special ammo out of a Model 66. Here's a couple pics:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm no gunsmith, but take a look and see what (if any) mods are recommended for a .45 ACP shooting a steady diet of +P loads. I've heard talk (and only talk) about the recoil spring and other springs being changed out, buffers installed, etc. Again, maybe it's nothing major, but it'd be worth a look.

Finally, if you're seriously going to shoot hogs and bears, how important are quick follow-up shots to you? Unless you're going to practice faithfully, your follow-ups with a SA revolver aren't going to be nearly as fast as with an automatic.

That's my two cents--I usually get change back. Good luck with your decision!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.