ME- My 20 ga. won't hold a good pattern at 40 yards. I feel that the copper plated # 7 1/2's would give good penetration at that distance but the pattern gets too thin. I am only shooting an ounce and an eighth of shot. Now if you were to go to a 3 inch shell and an extra full choke you MIGHT get a 20 ga. to pattern out to 40 yards. Which ever gauge and choke you decide to try be sure to pattern several shells ( loads, shot sizes, brands,) on a turkey head patterning target. I want to have six or more pellets strike a vital zone (skull and vertebrae ). 30 yards is the max for my 20 ga. Having said all that, I've only killed one turkey with my big 12 ga. that I could not have taken with the 20 ga. It was killed at nearly 50 yards. It was the second bird of a double that ran instead of flying. The load was Federals three inch magnum, 2 oz. copper plated #6 's. That is a swarm of pellets coming out of an extra full choke tube.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775