Originally Posted by ol_mike

Agree.
You can have a 5,000HP engine, if it's turning the same RPM as a 250HP engine the car will go the same speed. Although the 5,000HP engine will get there a little faster. smile

Cars back in the 60-70-80's had 1 to 1 gear ratios and ran about 2500rpm at highway speeds. GM Turbo 350/400 three speeds [other makers too] 4 speed cars etc. don't compare to speeds modern 6-7-8-10 speed cars can attain.
The 93 Corvette I mentioned would top 170mph in 5th gear, 4th gear is a 1 to 1 ratio, 5th is .50 to 1 ratio and is where the big speed is made.

IF the car had an engine powerful enough to REDLINE 6th gear which is considered double over-drive gear, .25 to 1 ratio, the car would be traveling 320mph. Although the ZF- 6speed transmission couldn't handle that level of torque/HP.

Back in the mid 80's Andy Granatelli, was trying to break 230mph/? with the 3rd generation camaro. He was at 211mph, needed 19 more mph. Camaro was making 700+ ''wheel hp'' and computer-generated data showed it need 250+ more horsepower, for 19 more mph. I was amazed that computers did that kind of stuff and that it took that much more HP to push the car through the wind at those speeds.
[/quote]

You might want to check your tranny gear ratios.
I really don't think it went from 1:1 to .5:1 in one shift.
.75:1 is more likely. And still a good step.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!