On the counterpoint side, one of my cousins and his best friend both signed up for the Marines right out of high school, mid 1960’s, wanting to go to Vietnam. This was the NY suburbs but you’d call these guys Rednecks - hunting, guns, drinking. Their idea of a prank in high school was putting on white hoods and driving through a Black neighborhood.

As infantry both saw combat in Vietnam, came home, married and went on to lead productive lives. The best friend married my cousin’s sister so we’re still in touch. My cousin years later became more troubled by the memories, still is, nary a hint of drug use around either one though.

Both had a son who later enlisted the Military; in the Air Force, they did everything they could to keep their sons from opting for a direct combat MOS.

As for those Cadets, if they had gotten drunk and unintentionally killed someone with a vehicle, their Military careers would be over. As it was they mostly hurt themselves but still the same kind of deal; a stupid mistake with life-changing consequences.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744