Originally Posted by elkrazy
Thanks for the responses - a couple of quick questions:

Would you go with non-insulated or "lightly" insulated boots?

Leather upper only? Is it a durability question?

Full Leather upper is the only way to go IMHO if hiking.
Leather breaths, while plastic / even goretex never seems to allow enough ventilation. Leather gets wet, but dries quickly unless in boggy areas. I picked a size and fit that allows a range of sock thickness. I can wear thick wool and a sock liner in temps like 11° the other morning. I can also wear my normal daily socks without too much space and slop like warmer weather we have now. Everything is a tradeoff, but I like the versatility of my full wrap leather and sturdy lug vibrant soles.

One more thing. I was carrying a 35# pack in the last snow and ice we had. I wore the boots that I mentioned in the previous post. I compared those after hiking around two miles with a lightweight pair of boots with a less aggressive sole.
Guess which was easier?

I expended less energy in the heavier full lugged " knobby tires."
All else was equal from my other clothing to my pack. What I found was that despite the extra weight on feet, I was stable and able to relax my legs, and core muscles while briskly hiking. With the lighter ones I had to be uber aware of the ground, and keep readjusting my balance. That gets tiring fast on snow or rocky terrain.
Stability wins with weight and on trails that aren't predictable.