I tried to edit the above and I was past the edit time limit.

The thought struck me that folks might think that I was all for using the .25-'06 as a primary elk rifle. That's not true.

If I was hunting deer with a .25-'06, had an elk tag in my pocket and a a bull volunteered to be killed, I'd surely take the shot. I've killed a enough elk with a .25-'06 to know thaat it works fine.

Also, if I was counting pennies and was primarily a deer hunter, but an occasional elk hunter, the .25-'06 would be OK.

Would I personally use the .25-'06 as a primary elk rifle? NOPE. Nor would I use the hard-kicking .300 Ultra, which is on the other end of the spectrum.

My perfect elk cartridge, at least at my current state of evolution, would be the .280 Ackley Improved with 140-grain Nosler Partitions. I've killed several bulls with 140 Ballistics and they work well, but the Partition adds just a little insurance.

I'm currently working with the 6.5-'06 Ackley and, in time, it might prove to be even better than the .280. For now, however, my vote would have to be for the .280 Ackley and 140s.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397