Originally Posted by doubleDs55
Use yer supply of 00 buck for short range shooting & practice through a IC or cyl tube, Full choke usually sucks with 00 buck by scattering patterns.
Then go buy Federal 00 Buck Flite-Control shells, 3''-00 buck the lower velocity ones shoot the tightest patterns usually.
The tightest patterns come from Federal Flite-Control 2 3/4 00 buck LE with 8 pellets @ 1100 fps, made for law enforcement through cly/open- no choke.

I believe the Federal Flite-Control wad is pretty much identical to the Hornady Versatite wad.

I have patterned the Hornady Critical Defense (12ga, 2 3/4", Versatite wad, 00 Buck, 8 pellets, 1600 fps) through my Remington 870 with 18.5" cylinder bore. At 20 yards the pattern was only about 4 inches. I didn't try it out to 50 yards, but it might be worth a look.

The Federal Flite-Control, and Hornady Versatite wad is designed to make a cylinder bore pattern like a full choke. Basically, the wad does not open up at the front. instead, a high-drag rear end essentially slows the wad rapidly, and releases the payload while keeping it in a tight cluster.