Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Wasn’t sure which sub forum best for the question. I’ll start here.

I have a stash of 00 buck, and an auto loader I’d like to be able to hold a pattern tight enough to 50 yards that would take out K9 sized critters or torsos of 2-leggeds if called upon for it. Chokes I have that came with the gun are good to 20 yards but past that not so hot. I realize the ammo selection could play a big part in pattern performance.

Not looking to debate caliber or shot size or any of that, what I have is what I have. Just wondering if one of the buckshot specific chokes was worth it and which one? Poking around I’ve found the Carlson’s and the kicks buck kicker.

Thanks

I went through a bunch of testing when I moved to Virginia since the club I hunted with was a dog hunting club during the regular season. I got an SX3 Winchester and on advice of some others I got a Kicks Buckkicker Full choke. I tested a bunch of ammo, all at 50 yards with an 18" circle.

My favorite combo was Winchester 3 1/2 00 Copper Plated that was rated at 1450 FPS I believe. That stuff had 15 pellets in it and would easily keep 14 pellets within the 18" circle. That same combo with the Kicks and Winchester 00 worked in a few other shotguns as well.

3" Hevi Shot 00 was also very good as well.

I shot ALOT of deer with the combo and at 50 yards in front of dogs it would slow a buck down and kill real well, usually pellets braking legs and passing through the chest.

At around 35 yards or so I swear it would knock them out of the air. I was never a believer in buckshot until I spent some time working with it and seeing how my gun liked certain combo's.

Winchester also ran a run of 000's as well in 3" that were demonly as well outta the gun.

Hope this helps out some.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 04/07/22.

Semper Fi