I've searched the forum here and read the preferences some of you have regarding tackle, so forgive me if this has been beat to death. I'm doing an Ontario fly-in fishing trip late June and want to take another setup besides my spinning rig for casting for (hopefully) big pike and trolling. I came upon a deal on what I think is a decent casting rod (Fenwick HMG) with two tip sections in medium and medium heavy and would like a reel to match up. I'm a relative newby to baitcasting tackle, I have a small inexpensive Ryobi rod/reel combo that I've been practicing with and I'm able to cast without too many birds nest as long as I'm using heavier (>1+oz) lures. I want to get a reel that has a decent line capacity and will be cast friendly to someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with them. Searching online and reading reviews I sort of lean towards the round body type, in particular the Abu Garcia C4 and the Shimano Calcutta B series. I'd like to stick with a left hand crank because that's what feels more natural to me, having used open faced spinning reels all my life. I don't need professional quality and would like to keep it under $200. It will only be used a couple times a year at most, but don't want to get something that I want to throw overboard trying to make it work. So what do you more experienced baitcasters recommend I look at?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn