I think you’re right on track Tmitch. I’ve made a half dozen trips to fly-in lakes in northern Manitoba, specifically for big pike. I’m going back for two weeks beginning in late July. What I’ve settled on for reels is the Shimano Calcutta Conquest 200DC. That is a right hand reel but there is a left hand option. They are excellent reels a bit more pricey than you’re looking for. The size though, 200 series is ideal for big pike. They are certainly up to the task. As important as the reel is, the rod is more important, in my opinion. I wouldn’t want less than a 7 foot, medium heavy action rod. Leverage is huge with big pike. I’m talking fish over 40 inches. I would also suggest using braided line, at least 30 lb test an of course a steel leader. Those fish will destroy everything! It’s good to have extra and I would encourage you to buy the best you can afford. You don’t want to go to all the expense of getting to a lake that’s 200 miles from the nearest road and have cheap gear let you down.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...