I don't know where you're going in Canada but assuming you'll be on some larger chain or lakes your success on large Northerns in late June would be spotty at best. Large Northerns over 15 pounds become cold water fish so they'll head for deep open water once the water temperatures warm. You'd be left with access to smaller fish in shallower water. Now if there are Muskies where you're going, I'd suggest targeting them as they stay relatively shallow all summer.

Your choice of a Fenwick HMG rod is a solid choice. I've used Fenwick HMG rods for over 50 years with great success. As for reel, you want something with a good adjustable magnetic anti-reverse. The anti-reverse should all but eliminate tangles when casting when adjusted correctly. Most of your better reels in the $100 to $150 range should work fine.

If you're right handed, stick with a right handed bait casting reel. Fishing is truly an ambidextrous sport.

Don't be afraid to go a little lighter on your rod and reel combo. In my opinion that's what makes fishing truly exciting. You'll also be able to make longer casts with a slightly lighter setup.

Best wishes for a successful trip!