First off, I'm not a head hunter at all. For me, it's all about dinner. My brother however, is the opposite. He and his small group of like-minded hunting partners obsess over the horns and I kid him at times to show me his camouflaged tape measure.

So, apparently the 300-class (whatever that means) elk on his wall of dead is no longer good enough so he and a hunting partner are headed somewheres next year where a 330-class elk "is definitely a possibility".

Here's what I've not heard of before - apparently my brother and hunting buddy don't bring rifles or ammo to hunting camp. Instead, they'll be using a couple of the outfitters super-duper rifles that wear cans on the end and are mounted with scopes tailored to the cartridge - 300 PRC. I guess they show up a day early and spend it familiarizing with the rifles out to 500 yards. Then they head out to elk camp. The outfitter also provided them instructions on how to prepare at home using their own rifles.

Wow. That's a new one for me. I know of African hunts where rifles and ammo can be provided, but this is the first I've heard of in the States.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.