The farm had not been lived in for close onto 20 years when we acquired it. The old guy, Arnold, had lived there for a number of years alone after his wife died.

Shortly after we moved in, odd things started happening. For one thing, the back door kept coming unlocked. For another, a light in the upstairs attic started coming on all by itself.

Then the apparitions started. Over the next few years, KYHillchick, I and the kids all saw or heard someone in his underwear going from the smaller of the two downstairs bedrooms to the bathroom.

Once, 'Hilll woke up to footsteps, and thought it was one of us hitting the can at 0300, but no one ever came back. When he actually appeared, you'd catch him out of the corner of your eye and try to look at him directly, and he'd be gone.

I solved the door problem by putting a big barrel bolt on the door and adding a padlock on the outside. He still occasionally works the deadbolt, but he hasn't found the padlock.

The upstairs light is still a problem. I'll come in for the weekend, turn on the main breaker and find the upstairs light is on. I'll turn it off, go downstairs and then find it on again before I leave on Sunday.

Once, this was about 5 years in, I was out back talking to 'Hillchick on the cellphone. Suddenly, I heard voices coming from inside the cabin. It sounded like two men walking in through the back door and going into the dining room while having a conversation. I told 'HillChick that the neighbors were visiting, and had to go. I went in the house, and there was no one there.

Outside of the last incident, none of this has been particularly creepy. Even seeing a little guy in his underwear didn't seem all that odd. We just learned to live with it, and it pretty much fizzled after the first decade. I still have a problem with the upstairs light, but even that is getting to be a rare thing.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer