The M4 / M16 platform has to be regarded as one of the most successful designs in combat arms. It's even being copied (see the Zbroyar clone). The idea that criminal intent exists in its development and acceptance by the U.S Army and Marine Corps, has hair all over it. Men must have their beliefs though...

As to implementation I suspect we will see a mix of M4's and this Sig. One of the advantages of the 5.56 was that a soldier could carry enough ammunition to engage single targets, AND, provide cover fire for movement. Given the size and additional weight of the new Sig round, I don't think the individual soldier will be carrying as much ammunition. 7 mags of the new Sig round is going to be heavier with fewer rounds on person than its tiny 5.56 brother. Current issue chest rigs are designed around the 5.56, so that will likely see some modification. How and how much? <shrug>

Is this a good move for our military? I think it could be so long as smart implementation carries the day. Much longer lethal engagement ranges doesn't mean every soldier should carry one. <- I find this point to be intuitively obvious, and I'm perfectly aware that others will not.

Also of interest to me is how this new rifle affects, or is implemented in current CQB and Urban Warfare tactics, where engagement distances can be anywhere from 2 feet to whatever. Imagine the barrel report inside a 10 square foot room...

Last edited by Sniggly; 05/22/22.