Taste is highly personal so there's no wrong or right answer. However, Laphroaig is highly sought after due to the range of taste it offers. Lots of great complex flavors in every sip. It certainly is intense, and probably not the best "starter" scotch, although it is what I started on. I prefer to mix it 50/50 with good ice cold water, which brings out the subtle flavors. Again, no ice, and be sure the water itself is high quality so it doesn't adulterate the scotch. Nothing better than sitting by a fire in the evening and nursing some Laphroaig. Especially when it is snowing outside.

By gifting Laphroaig, oak-tree-guy was showing you his extreme appreciation for your help. The gift not being the scotch so much by itself, but the opportunity to expand your palette into a new pleasure.

Again, taste is personal etc., but if a person feels the need to add a flavorant to his scotch, that scotch wasn't that good to begin with (or the person just doesn't like scotch). But, whatever; just like rifle cartridges, "shoot what'cha like."

If I was close, I'd happily take it off your hands.

JMHO