A couple years ago I picked up a supposedly unfired Miroku Winchester Mod. 71 Deluxe. It is the nicest blue steel walnut rifle I have ever owned. Dark well checkered walnut and a deep almost black blue finish.

In keeping with my plan to have a .35 caliber old school lever gun with near .35 Whelen ballistics I had it rechambered to a .348 Ackley Improved. Laid in a healthy supply of 250 grain bonded Alaska Bullet Works bullets, H4350 and Federal 215 Match Primers and Starline brass. Hoping to get 2,500fps mv out of my load choice.

I sent three fired cases off and had Whidden make up .348 Ack. Imp. dies and got a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I doubt any moose or bear I shoot with it will appreciate all the expense and trouble I went to.

Got rid of rebounding hammer, trigger job, cut barrel to 22", full length magazine tube and XS receiver sight and Pachmayer Sporting Clays recoil pad. Had Levergun Leather Works make me up a five round butt cuff with a brown bear carves on the cheek side and a one inch black sling from Montana Leather Slings.

Wife made me a smoke tanned moose hide scabbard for it and when I put my Filson Packer hat on and hold that rifle while sitting around the fire pit in the back yard, I look like a real old Alaskan Sourdough! It is a well made, well fit and well put together rifle. Just purdy to look at!

I am pleased with it, but really don't need it, as it won't do any thing my wonderful Marlin 45-70 won't do.