I had an 86 back in the 80's I hunted with. I killed two bull elk with it, using 405 gr Semi jacketed bullets ( I think they were Remingtons) and 3031 powder. I tried some 500 gr cast in it 2-3 times.The only thing that had more recoil was a 12 gauge rifled slug in 3" magnum.

The first was frontal shot at about 50 feet. He reared and went over backwards and stumbled thru about 15yards of nasty blow down. The second was thru the lungs broad side at about 10 yards. He was angling up a hill, but turned and came down the hill towards me. He fell about 5 feet in front of me.

I was not fun to shoot and was pretty heavy. I think around 11-12 pounds fully loaded.. Carrying it in a saddle scabbard, it tended to pull my saddle off center unless I loaded the other side.

Toting it around in thick timber crawling over blow downs was not fun either. Sorry I sold it though, but I have old Winchester 94 now made in the early 1900's in 38-55 that is little easier on the shoulder

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/25/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles