Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by TX35W
Bottom line is that light double wall tent requires way less effort and practice to keep you and your stuff dry, both from your own condensation and from any weather.

That has not been my experience over the past 20+ years in Colorado during the bow season. But then again, it all depends on the single-walled tent. Some are well-ventilated, some are not.

The SL-5 that I use allows you to pitch it with 6-8 inches of space between the ground and the bottom of the tent walls, and it has mesh vents at the top. That allows enough air circulation that condensation is really not an issue. But a tipi style tent with the walls pitched tight to the ground and no vents does create condensation.

And I've never gotten my stuff in the tent wet in rain or snow.

Is that the same setup you use in 4th rifle? If so, I'm guessing you use a very large shelter. I've only hunted in CO a few times during bow season and the bugs were not bad and it was mostly dry and there were plenty of sunny days to balance out whatever weather came in. It was exceedingly pleasant.

That is just not the case in other areas, especially later in the season. 6-8 inches of space between the ground and the bottom of the tent wall is *huge* and necessitates that your sleeping bag be set back a fair bit from the tent wall or your bag (and other gear) is getting wet in any sort of driven rain, let alone if you get a half foot of snow.

I will often pitch one side of my single wall shelters with that sort of gap for ventilation but everything in that part of the shelter will have snow drift in on it.