Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I'd like to see some one load take, off safety, and fire at a rising pheasant, quail, or grouse with any sucess.

One thought was walking around with action broken open but charged chambers and safety off (this assumes no auto-safety).

Closing the gun could be done in the same motion as shouldering to fire.

Originally Posted by 300_savage
I like to do most of my walking with a cold chamber. If game is in sight, hot chamber with safety on, same if walking really likely cover with good footing. This is why I like a pump shotgun; I often carry it chamber cold, hammer down. I can pump a round in nearly as fast as I can release a safety when the sharptails flush.

This is how I run a pump as well.

Ypu asked "how"? Well 99%++++ of upland hunters have the shotgun loaded, closed and the safety on....However, you are allowed to do as you please if that doesn't suit you...It will not change the percentages of "how".. Pumps or breakopen shotguns. You will be safer walking around, however you will miss many opportunities. Depends on how personally important that would be.

And if you have to ask the question, then you have limited experience in the uplands with other hunters???? Nothing wrong with that being the case, however the implication is obvious.

Last edited by battue; 05/26/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler