I found a 1909 Argentine Mauser at a gun show as a barreled action. The guy selling it wanted $600. O offered $300. He declined. That was Saturday. On Sunday he was packing up as the show closed down and hadn't sold it so I told him my offer of $300 still stands. He said he hadn't sold anything both days so said OK. $300. He also had an unshaped piece of wood that was intended to be the stock which came along with the barreled action. After about a week of messing with it I decided it was worth putting some money into the package. The action had little dimples where the the gun had been Rockwell tests so off to my gunsmith to finish the job. I left him with a list of what I wanted done and chained him to his work bench. He tore the whole package down and checked everything before starting work. The he had an accident so had to farm the gun out. He sent it to Sterling Davenport who did the lion's share of the work. Counting the initial cost of the barreled action and 2x4, shaping the stock, checkering and final finish, Niedner trap door butt plate and pistol grip cap. and other things like a proper trigger job the tariff was right at #3,000 and change.
That 2x4 that hadn't really impressed me turned out to be a very pretty piece of wood. In bright light that wood just glows. The rifle is chambered for the .280 Remington and will put three 160 gr. Speer Hot Cores into .75" day in and day out. Five shot groups still stay under an inch as long as I do my part. Every time I look at that rifle, I smile.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE