A teen in the fifties with opportunity to discover where my talents... Weren't! Quality gunsmithing labor relatively cheap and yet myself then as first real job, grocery clerk. My income of course behind gunsmith services affordability curve. My few project guns, also learning experiences! "How not" & "KISS principle" re project selection & management! Well learned early, worthy experience!

1. All kinds of guns out there. Wide choices. Many of the milsurps, far easier/cheaper to just buy into the "half-vast" product of someone else's money pit than stumble through my own.

2. 'Quick draw', several basic headspace "Field gauges" as critical eye purchase eval, 911 backup! . Stock/sight/accessory swapping, cold blue... Such my realm. All for personal pleasure. Never for profit. In respect of my established talents track record... Thank God!

2. Wisdom from an old Clint Eastwood movie: "Man's got to know his limitations." Well learned both in my few talents discovered & numerous lack of as necessarily admitted. smile

3. For me, "projects" of whatever sorts, my blind spot seldom dollar costs. "Time drain", the bugger. Under estimation!

Life as a learning experience indeed. Keeping it 'mostly fun and not harmful of others', my personal key!

Perhaps mine not the war stories contemplated by the O/P. But...
Just my take!
Aside... Z1R, beautiful rifle! smile
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 06/02/22.