Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by IMR4350
I'm not in an HOA. My house and the land that it sits on is paid for. I don't need some HOA telling me what to do. I don't understand why people would surrender their property rights. We already have the government sticking its nose in our bussiness.

Sheeple just love giving up their rights for a false sense of security.

Let me provide a different perspective. I love having room to roam...hike and bicycle. I love fishing. I love not having to worry about theft/break-ins. I love being surrounded by nature. I wish I could afford to buy a place that offered me all of that. I can't.

I bought 3 acres on a lake in an HOA community. The community offers over 17 miles of hiking and biking trails. It has 4 community lakes. A creek with a waterfall flows through the middle of the community. The average lot size is over 4 acres. There are nearly 1000 acres of community property at my disposal. My road is private and it's gated. I have access to a clubhouse for family reunions etc.

My agreement with the community is pretty straightforward simple and non-burdensome. I have to build a house of at least 1400 square feet. I can't have livestock, which I wouldn't have had anyway...other than maybe some laying hens. I have to maintain my property to certain standards which I would do anyway. I can't tie a barking dog to a tree in my yard. I can't hunt in the community. There are other very reasonable restrictions that won't affect me at all.

I have assurances that my neighbors property won't be an eyesore and that they can't create a bunch of noise that breaches the peace of the community.

The bottom line is that I get way more than I am giving up, and I am doing it on a modest budget. In other words, what I am surrendering in "property rights" pales in comparison to what I get in return for agreeing to very simple covenants.
Paul, I have the same things you do. Lots of room to roam around no worrys about break ins and the freedom to do what I want. And yes we still have a few restrictions too. We also can't raise live stock on the property. The problem I have is that I've heard to many horror stories about HOAs. You are very fortunate to have a good one. The most important thing is that you are happy with where you are living and obviously you found the right place.