Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MS9x56
I enjoy using iron sights. In fact I took my 7x57 Mauser out woodchuck hunting this past weekend to get acquainted with it as it is a recent aquasition. I had sighted it in on paper earlier this spring. It has the typical German flip up rear sight calibrated for 100 and 300 meters. Never got to use the 300 meter as the 3 chucks I shot at were all under 100 meters. Took one through head at 40 yards missed 2nd on because I tried to use the set trigger and need to practice more with it before using it on game. Hair trigger is apt description. 3rd was at 90 yards body shot offhand standing. Overall pretty pleased and will do some shooting drills with set trigger.

Sounds like fun. I grew up using irons, as i'm sure everyone else did here as well. Learned with a BB gun shooting flies on the wall. Then it progressed to running jackrabbits with everything from marlin 60's, 10-22's and my dads vz24 8mm mauser. Even did a lot of black powder shooting, irons only. Now that was fun. Now I have to shoot right handed with irons, so that takes some of the fun out of it. I wish my left eye would allow it, but that is life.. That means every group I post that I shoot with irons, I'm shooting from my "weak side"..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm spoiled now by sights like these. Oh, and yeah, you can adjust them.. ha ha..

Good shooting with those irons!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally